Tuesday, April 15, 2014

My Chihuahuas (Past and Present)

I don't have access to a scanner, so I have no way right now of posting pictures of many of my Chihuahuas. As a child I grew up with Miss Fluffy a white with black nose long coat Chihuahua who was shown to her Championship by her owner/handler Isabel Jefferson. In 1960 my mom paid what was top dollar for a retired Chihuahua- twenty five dollars. Miss Fluff lived to twenty years of age.

I have Frisky who wasn't a purebred Chihuahua. Frisky was a Chihuahua/Jack Russell mix. Frisky was only two when he slipped his collar and ran out into the road and was hit and killed by a car who never stopped. As an adult I feel so bad. My dad was walking him when this happened and witnessed him getting hit. The car sped away after killing him. My dad had to get him out of the road and then come home and tell me. I was five at the time.

My grandparents also had Chihuahuas Tiny was indeed a smaller Chihuahua. Both Tiny and Fluffy hated kids and often let me know with nips to my fingers. They also had Tippy who was a Chihuahua/Jack Russell mix just like my dog, Frisky. Tippy was the friendlier of them. Tippy loved to play fetch and once when he didn't retrieve the ball I ran into the woods to get it and cut my foot on a broken pop bottle. I was three and can still remember that. I cut the tendon and artery in the bottom of my foot. Tiny was twenty five years old and Tippy was twenty two when they passed away. Both of them within a week after my grandma died in 1968.

Many years later in the 90's when my kids were getting older 

We got Beth. A small three pound Chihuahua. She had to have her ear removed right after we got her due to an infection. I sure learned a lot about puppy mills after that! She lived to be three years old and died from a congenital heart defect. I have pics of her and maybe one day can find a way to get them scanned.

I then got Gidget who was a little bigger and more hardier Chihuahua. I could fill this page up with stories about Giddy Girl. Gidget lived to ten years old

Tinker and Gidget who always had to set in my daughters violin case and howl while she practiced violin.

I got Tinker from a breeder I met and talked to in an online Chihuahua message board. Tinky was a runt of his litter. I got him when he was six months old. He weighed a half a pound. He lived to be nine years old and was two pounds when he died.

We've also been loved by Jazzy
Jazzy who got car sick taking car rides, but loved to go in the car
And always had to ride setting on the console and was fourteen.
And Elizabeth
Hamming it up for the camera

1 comment:

Unknown said...

All so cute! I would cry my eyes out if my Dina was hit by a car and the driver didn't even slow down or get out!

Dina Mom